Mathematics Curriculum Guides
Scope & Sequence|
Kindergarten - 8th Grade
Illinois State Goals|
Goal #6 - Number Sense
Goal #7 - Estimation & Measurement
Goal #8 - Algebra & Analytical Methods
Goal #9 - Geometry
Goal #10 - Data Analysis & Probability
|Number Sense:||Numbers and what we do with them help us make sense of our world. Knowing how to use numbers can help us solve problems.|
|Measurement:||Measurement gives us a way to answer "how many - how much - how far?" Knowing how to use measuring instruments helps us gain accurate information.|
|Algebra:||Algebra uses patterns and how patterns work to find solutions to everyday problems.|
|Geometry:||Geometry provides opportunities for problem solving using reasoning. Points, lines, planes, and space are used to understand the dimensions of our world.|
|Data Analysis:||Understanding and interpreting data grows more important each day. Probability, organization, variables, and patterns help us judge the reasonableness of our solutions.|
Grades K-3 Overview
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication through 12 x 12, introduction to division.
- Measurement and comparison of length, liquid, and weight. Telling time. Counting money and making change.
- Find the missing number in addition/subtraction problems.
- Identify shapes.
- Find perimeter, area, and volume. Lines. Rays.
- Read, make, and compare bar graphs, line graphs, pictographs, and pie charts.
Grades 4-5 Overview
- Solve one and two-step problems. Use fractions, whole numbers and decimals.
- Calculate length, perimeter, area and conversions within the metric system.
- Understand operations and number properties. ex: commutative, associative, distributive, and zero. Solve linear equations.
- Compare geometric figures and determine their properties and describe geometric relationships.
- Determine mean, median, and mode from set of data. Calculate the probability of events.
Grades 6-8 Overview
- Identify and apply number sense to a variety of problems.
- Use concrete/graphic models and appropriate formulas to apply the concepts of measurement.
- Apply properties of numbers and operations to solve problems.
- Develop and communicate logical arguments about geometric figures and patterns.
- Organize data, make sense of variables and interpret patterns.
Grades 9-12 Overview
- Identify and apply the properties of all numbers.
- Measure and compare quantities using appropriate units. Apply formulas for real-world measurements.
- Interpret relationships using tables, graphs, and charts. Solve problems using number properties. Use concepts and procedures to solve problems.
- Identify, describe, and compare relationships of lines, planes, and other shapes. Use proofs to solve problems.
- Organize, describe, and make predictions from data. Apply and describe things using the probability of the event.